(275) Staff Services Manager I (Supervisor)
Applicants with disabilities who need reasonable accommodations, such as a Sign Language interpreter, a reader, or assistance attending an interview please call (916) 323-3055.
Jesse Rios 916-322-3682
Personnel and Payroll Services Division
300 Capitol Mall
Sacramento, CA 95814
Individuals who are currently in this classification, or are eligible for lateral transfer or promotion, or are reachable on a certification list may apply.
For permanent positions, SROA and surplus candidates should attach “surplus letters” to their application. Failure to do so may result in your application not being considered.
Submit application package electronically via your CalCareers account or to address below:
State Controller’s Office
Human Resources Office
ATTN: Classification Unit - AP
300 Capitol Mall, Ste. 300
Sacramento, CA 95814
Application package must include all the required documents. Mailed application package must include ARF #48 or Position #051-220-4800-005 in the job title section. Application received without this information may be rejected.
Looking for a job that you can feel passionate about? Looking for work in an inviting work environment? If you are interested in working in a fast-paced environment surrounded by enthusiastic and self-motivated people, then look no further! The Office of the State Controller (SCO) is the destination Constitutional employer within the State of California.
The following link outlines a summary of benefits available to state employees: https://www.calhr.ca.gov/Pages/California-State-Civil-Service-Employee-Benefits-Summary.aspx
Applications will be screened and only the most qualified will be interviewed. Application must include “to” and “from” employment dates (m/d/y), hours per week, and prior employer contact information including contact number. Applications received without this information may not be considered for this position.
Applications must be filled out completely. Applications received that state “See Resume” may not be considered.
Special Requirement: Applicants must submit a Statement of Qualifications (SOQ), not to exceed one page (typed, no smaller than Arial 11 pt.), including the applicant’s:
- Experience with leading technical and analytical staff in resolving problems and reaching consensus with stakeholders.
- Relevant experience (e.g., accounting systems, travel policy) that has prepared you to oversee the maintenance and operations of the state’s travel expense reimbursement system.
Applications submitted without the SOQ will not be considered for this position.
The selected candidate considered for the advertised position will be required to undergo a fingerprint clearance and any offer of employment will be contingent upon live scan fingerprint results.
Scope of Position:
Under the general direction of the Staff Services Manager II, the incumbent serves as manager and working supervisor over six professional staff in the California Automated Travel Expense Reimbursement System (CalATERS) unit, which is responsible for overseeing the implementation and maintenance of CalATERS Global. The incumbent serves as a recognized authority and consultant to management and analytical staff on business and technical activities related to CalATERS Global maintenance projects and consults on the CalATERS Replacement Project as a subject matter expert. The incumbent acts as a project leader in areas of customer relations and marketing for CalATERS Global. Specific duties include, but are not limited to the following:
Duties and Responsibilities:
(Candidates must perform the following functions with or without reasonable accommodations.)
- Plan, organize, and direct the work of team members involved with maintenance of CalATERS Global. Specific tasks include: establishing priorities and commit staff resources for operation maintenance tasks; work with information technology staff and vendor to ensure business function requirements are accurately translated during system upgrades/improvements; direct and monitor system testing and quality assurance measures to ensure business requirements are met; regularly communicate with statewide end users to ensure system functions meet the needs of the customers, and to determine how functions can be improved; and maintain and monitor CalATERS Global to ensure system operates accurately and in compliance with changes to laws, rules, and policies.
- Plan, organize, and direct the work of team members supporting tasks for the CalATERS Replacement Project. Specific tasks include: contribute to change management for new CalATERS system that includes the planning and implementation of the system statewide; communicate with departments regarding the rollout and its related activities via live meetings, web-based seminars and print communication; oversee/confirm system training for all staff; develop a task plan for staff, and identify milestones that must be completed for rollout success; oversee the IT portion of the rollout, including configurations, licenses, OTECH needs, software and hardware needs, and impact analysis.
- Meet regularly with the SSM II to provide status updates and recommendations for maintenance of CalATERS Global; Report on Replacement Project related tasks and progress on a weekly basis; Monitor and report on CalATERS budget and expenditures; Identify and determine impacts to the system regarding rule changes, new rules based on bargaining and policies necessary to accommodate business functions and processes supported by the system.
- Recruit, train, develop, and evaluate the performance of staff and take appropriate action.
- Represent CalATERS at internal and external meetings and conferences.
- Ability to uphold PPSD values: Professionalism, Accountability, Customer Service, Collaboration, and Trust.
- Commitment to lead by example, motivate and mentor employees, and delegate assignments effectively.
- Knowledge of State travel and state fund accounting processes, procedures, and systems.
- Knowledge of SCO’s operations, policies and procedures and the State’s. Uniform State Payroll System (USPS) as it applies to CalATERS.
- Excellent organization skills with attention to detail.
- Knowledge of a manager’s role in the State’s human resources.
- Ability to communicate effectively while using tact and good judgment.
- Ability to work under pressure with changing priorities and/or deadlines.
- Ability to develop and align performance goals to business priorities.
- Excellent attendance and dependability.