(7216) Associate Management Auditor/Staff Services Management Auditor – (Compliance Bureau) (4 Positions)
Applicants with disabilities who need reasonable accommodations, such as a Sign Language interpreter, a reader, or assistance attending an interview please call (916) 323-3055.
$5,406.00 - $7,108.00 (AMA) / $3,635.00 - $5,911.00 (SSMA)
Recruitment (916) 324-5844 email@example.com
Division of Audits
3301 C Street
Sacramento, CA 95816
Individuals who are currently in this classification, or are eligible for lateral transfer or promotion, or are reachable on a certification list may apply.
For permanent positions, SROA and surplus candidates should attach “surplus letters” to their application. Failure to do so may result in your application not being considered.
Submit application package electronically via your CalCareers account or to address below:
State Controller’s Office
Human Resources Office
ATTN: Classification Unit -
300 Capitol Mall, Ste. 300
Sacramento, CA 95814
Application package must include all the required documents. Mailed application package must include either ARF #AUD-236 or Position #051-640-5841-XXX in the job title section. Applications received without this information may be rejected.
Looking for a job that you can feel passionate about? Looking for work in an inviting work environment? If you are interested in working in a fast-paced environment surrounded by enthusiastic and self-motivated people, then look no further! The Office of the State Controller (SCO) is the destination Constitutional employer within the State of California.
Applications will be screened and only the most qualified will be interviewed. Application must include “to” and “from” employment dates (mm/dd/yyyy), hours per week, and prior employer contact information including contact number. Applications received without this information may not be considered for this position.
The selected candidate considered for the advertised position will be required to undergo a fingerprint clearance, complete a pre-employment self-certification, and any offer of employment will be contingent upon live scan fingerprint results.
For more details regarding application documents required for this job, please visit the https://www.jobs.ca.gov/ website.
Applications received without these documents may not be considered:
- A resume
- Education documentation (or a letter from the university indicating that all graduation requirements have been met)
- A statement of qualifications (SOQ). The SOQ should be clear, concise, and typewritten for ease of reading. Additionally, this document must be no longer than two (2) pages, in 12-point font, single-spaced and on a letter-sized document (8 ½ x 11).
- The SOQ must address the following:
- Describe your experience, education, and skills that demonstrate your qualifications.
- Describe your experience writing reports and making presentations to an audience.
- Provide an example of a time when you overcame a challenge in a team setting and describe what you learned from the experience.
A notation or reference to other materials such as resumes or application may not be considered and may not substitute for the SOQ.
Description of the Division:
The Division of Audits team determines the legality and accuracy of all claims against the State through the performance of pre and post-payment audits. We assure the accuracy of local government claims and financial statements submitted to the state and federal government by annually reviewing and revising audit guidelines, reviewing audits performed by independent local auditors under these guidelines, and performing audits of a variety of state and federal programs. Through audit activity, our Division identifies improper expenditures of state and federal funds.
Description of the Bureau:
The Compliance Audits Bureau primarily performs field audits of local governmental agencies to ensure adherence to specific regulatory requirements. Examples include: audits of court revenue remittances to the State Treasurer, mandated cost claim audits, and audits of methods employed by counties to apportion and allocate property tax revenues.
Scope of Position:
Associate Management Auditor
Under general direction provided by the Audit Manager (Senior Management Auditor), the Associate Management Auditor will perform at the first full journey person of the series in completing complex and difficult engagements (audits, attestations, and/or reviews) in an independent and proficient manner. An Associate Management Auditor may be assisted by Staff Services Management Auditors and other Associate Management Auditors in the performance of engagements in a single agency or a small group of related agencies. The incumbent also may be assigned to other projects within the division that require a first full journey level auditor skill set.
Staff Services Management Auditor
Under close supervision provided by a Senior Management Auditor, the incumbent will learn and develop appropriate skills and methods related to a variety of engagements (audits, attestations, and/or reviews) for compliance with applicable laws, rules, and regulations. This is a training and development classification. Typically, the incumbent will perform tasks directed by a Staff Management Auditor (Specialist) or Associate Management Auditor. The incumbent may also personally perform the least complex engagements.
Duties and Responsibilities:
(Candidates must perform the following functions with or without reasonable accommodations.) Duties will be commensurate with the level for which the candidate is hired.
- Perform audits in an independent and proficient manner in order to fulfill contractual agreements; and statutory and constitutional responsibilities, using software such as Microsoft Office and TeamMate.
- Ensure that the audit work is properly supported and sufficient to support audit findings, and that it meets the requirements of SCO’s Engagement Manual and professional auditing standards.
- Determine hours required and estimated completion dates for each step in the engagement planning memorandum in accordance with the SCO’s Engagement Manual and professional auditing standards.
- Plan and complete assigned audits effectively within budgeted hours.
Internal Control Evaluation:
- Evaluate auditee’s system of internal control significant to the audit objectives, and make recommendations, where appropriate, as required by the audit scope in accordance with the SCO’s Engagement Manual and professional auditing standards.
- Perform expanded testing of internal control as deemed necessary.
- Recommend changes or updates to audit programs or procedures to the auditor-in-charge or Senior Management Auditor.
- Inform the Senior Management Auditor or auditor-in-charge of the audit progress, audit problems, new audit areas, and other factors affecting audit operation and timeliness of reports.
- Provide the field audit supervisor with information for evaluating staff performance.
Act in Lead Role:
- Coordinate and assign audit tasks to each team member.
- Train and assist auditors in developing audit findings and recommendations.
- Conduct meetings, and discuss audit issues and findings.
- Review audit working papers for clarity and accuracy.
- Travel to and from the audit site—average up to 60% overnight travel
(In addition to evaluating each candidate's relative ability, as demonstrated by quality and breadth of experience, the following factors will provide the basis for competitively evaluating each candidate.)
- Firm foundation in accounting and in applying audit procedures in accordance with professional standards.
- Possession of excellent organization, time management, customer service and interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated ability to act independently, and be open-minded, flexible, and tactful.
- Broad knowledge of federal, state, and local laws, rules, policies and procedures.
- Proven ability to use good judgment when analyzing data and situations, drawing sound conclusions, and taking effective actions.
- Ability, flexibility, and willingness to thrive in an environment of change, pressure, and deadlines.
- Exemplary organizational skills, with an ability to prioritize workloads and exercise independent initiatives when appropriate.
- Excellent writing and presentation skills.
- Knowledge of Internal Control Standards.
- Strong PC skills, including Microsoft office applications.