Request a Duplicate Form W-2, Wage and Tax Statement

Form W–2: Wage and Tax Statements are mailed to your home address or routed to your department for distribution. This normally occurs by January 31st of each year. If you do not receive your Form W–2 by the end of January, you should contact your Personnel/Payroll Office.

You will not be eligible for a fee waiver if you chose to receive your Form W-2 electronically through Cal Employee Connect. In the event you lose your Form W–2, or require a duplicate copy you can download a copy from Cal Employee Connect under the "W-2" tab.  You also can request one from the State Controller's Office. To do so you must obtain a Standard Form 436: Request for Duplicate Wage and Tax Statement:

More than one tax year may be requested; however, only four prior tax years are available. If you are interested in requesting a Payment History, please visit our Requesting Pay History for information. 

There is a non-refundable $8.50 processing fee per tax year requested. If you are currently employed with a state agency or campus, you must pay via payroll deduction. Please ensure that you check this option on the Standard Form 436 (Section F "Method of Payment"). If your current position does not allow for voluntary deductions (i.e. retired annuitant, student assistant, youth aide), or you are no longer employed by a state agency or campus, you may remit payment by either a cashier's check or a money order. Personal checks, or cash, will not be accepted.

Cashier's check or money order must be made payable to the State Controller's Office. The processing fee for Payroll Deduction, will be deducted from your next warrant/direct deposit payment.

Please send requests to the following address:

State Controller's Office
Personnel / Payroll Services Division
ATTN: Duplicate Form W2
P.O. Box 942850
Sacramento, CA 94250-5878

If you require assistance in requesting a duplicate Form W–2, please call (916) 445-2847.