(6298) Mailing Machine Supervisor II
Applicants with disabilities who need reasonable accommodations, such as a Sign Language interpreter, a reader, or assistance attending an interview please call (916) 323-3055.
$3,488 – $4,370
Velia Martinez, (916) 323–2823
Administration and Disbursements Division
3301 C Street, Suite 780
Sacramento, CA 95816
Individuals who are currently in this classification, or are eligible for lateral transfer or promotion, or are reachable on a certification list may apply.
For permanent positions, SROA and surplus candidates should attach “surplus letters” to their application. Failure to do so may result in your application not being considered.
Submit application package electronically via your CalCareers account or to address below:
State Controller’s Office
Human Resources Office
ATTN: Classification Unit - AM
300 Capitol Mall, Ste. 300
Sacramento, CA 95814
Application package must include all the required documents. Mailed application package must include either ARF #DISB17-004 or Position #051-140-1463-XXX in the job title section. Application received without this information may be rejected.
Looking for a job that you can feel passionate about? Looking for work in an inviting work environment? If you are interested in working in a fast-paced environment surrounded by enthusiastic and self-motivated people, then look no further! The Office of the State Controller (SCO) is the destination Constitutional employer within the State of California.
Applications will be screened and only the most qualified will be interviewed. Application must include “to” and “from” employment dates (m/d/y), hours per week, and prior employer contact information including contact number. Applications received without this information may not be considered for this position.
Please submit a resume with your application.
The selected candidate considered for the advertised position will be required to undergo a fingerprint clearance and any offer of employment will be contingent upon live scan fingerprint results.
Scope of Position:
Under general direction provided by Staff Services Manager II, supervise a large, multi-shift Mailing Operation comprised of three Mailing Machines Supervisors I and ten Mailing Machines Operators II. Duties include, but are not limited to the following:
Duties and Responsibilities:
(Candidates must perform the following functions with or without reasonable accommodations.)
- Schedule and plan workload for the multi-shift Mailing Operations. Assign, monitor, and regulate workflow to staff. Direct staff to properly calibrate complex, multi-function computerized mail-inserting machines and presort machines. Plan, coordinate, and oversee the proper order and sequence of material during processing. Ensure mailing schedules and deadlines are met. Create and analyze production reports to determine operational efficiency. Review quality and quantity of production of the Mailing Operations. Ensure supervisors have staff perform proper documentation related to job processing and error resolution.
- Work with vendors to ensure that production equipment is properly maintained and in good working order. Communicate production issues to management.
- Ensure on a daily basis that Mailing Machines Supervisors I perform random quality review of jobs in progress. Ensure Individual Development Plans and Probation reports are completed by the due date. Ensure attendance documents are correctly completed by the due date.
- Develop and evaluate performance standards. Initiate disciplinary actions when necessary. Train staff on new procedures and changes in existing procedures.
- Operate complex, multi-function computerized inserting machines with the ability to trim and cut documents, fold documents, insert documents into envelopes, and seal envelopes.
- Clear jams from inserting machines and detect material handling errors. Perform maintenance and minor repairs.
- On a daily basis, lift and move 50 lbs. boxes without assistance. Maneuver full mail cages, weighing approximately 1,000 lbs., through the Mail Center.
- Secure warrants in established location. Educate employees on safety rules and regulations of the Mail Center.
- Place sealed envelopes onto the presort machine for ZIP Code sorting and remove from bins after sort is complete. Place sorted envelopes in appropriate mail trays and quality control sorted material. Secure completed mail trays on strapping machines. Operation of a desktop PC in order to prepare appropriate postage reports for electronic submission to the USPS. Clear jams from presort machines and detect material handling errors. Perform maintenance and minor repairs.
- Set up, adjust, and operate bursting, metering and pressure sealing equipment, material transport systems, heavy duty folders, joggers, cutters, shrink-wrap, and tying machines.
- Ensure the correct postage meter and postage charge codes are used to apply postage.
- Evaluate USPS standards and regulations for impact on mail operations. Coordinate with management and subordinate supervisors on implementation of new work processes, policies, and procedures.
- Excellent leadership skills and strong supervisory abilities;
- Ability to demonstrate a positive attitude and communicate effectively, including critical thinking, good judgment and decision making;
- General knowledge of postal regulations related to postage, types of mail, and zip code sorting techniques is required;
- Excellent attendance and dependability;
- Ability to handle multiple projects, tasks, changing priorities and coordinate concurrent assignments effectively and independently;
- Stand for extended periods of time;
- On a daily basis, must be able to lift and move 50 lb. boxes without assistance;
- Must be able to maneuver full mail cages weighing approximately 1,000 lbs. through the Mail Center.