Used properly, credit cards can be an effective tool for building your credit history and weathering unforeseen emergencies. Your credit score can affect the interest rate you pay for major purchases down the road, such as your car or home. Yet beware credit debt also accumulates quickly and, with interest, it can be a struggle to repay.
If you are just starting out and looking to build credit, learn how to compare terms and fees so you can pick the best credit card for you. Pay more than the required minimum by your due date if you can. If you are feeling overwhelmed by credit card debt, seek out legitimate credit counseling options and be cautious about scam services.
Find Services Near You
- Consumer Credit Counseling Service of San Francisco
- Junior Achievement of Northern California, Inc.
- Junior Achievement of Sacramento
- Money Management International
- NeighborWorks HomeOwnership Center Sacramento Region