(6326) Payroll Specialist
Applicants with disabilities who need reasonable accommodations, such as a Sign Language interpreter, a reader, or assistance attending an interview please call (916) 323-3055.
$2,900 - $4,669
Jesse Rios, 916-322-3682
Personnel / Payroll Services Division
300 Capitol Mall, Suite 1001
Sacramento, CA 95814
September 28, 2017
Individuals who are currently in this classification, or are eligible for lateral transfer or promotion, or are reachable on a certification list may apply.
For permanent positions, SROA and surplus candidates should attach “surplus letters” to their application. Failure to do so may result in your application not being considered.
Submit application package electronically via your CalCareers account or to address below:
State Controller’s Office
Human Resources Office
ATTN: Classification Unit - IG
300 Capitol Mall, Ste. 300
Sacramento, CA 95814
Application package must include all the required documents. Mailed application package must include either ARF # 513 or Position #051-220-1311-065 in the job title section. Application received without this information may be rejected.
Looking for a job that you can feel passionate about? Looking for work in an inviting work environment? If you are interested in working in a fast-paced environment surrounded by enthusiastic and self-motivated people, then look no further! The Office of the State Controller (SCO) is the destination Constitutional employer within the State of California.
Applications will be screened and only the most qualified will be interviewed. Application must include “to” and “from” employment dates (m/d/y), hours per week, and prior employer contact information including contact number. Applications received without this information may not be considered for this position.
The selected candidate considered for the advertised position will be required to undergo a fingerprint clearance and any offer of employment will be contingent upon live scan fingerprint results.
Scope of Position:
Under close/general supervision of a Payroll Officer, the incumbent is responsible for auditing and processing W2/Non-Uniform State Payroll Service (USPS) documentation in compliance with established State and Federal laws, rules, policies, procedures and collective bargaining contract provisions. This is a multi-range level class spanning entry through advanced journey levels of the Payroll Specialist series. Incumbents are assigned progressively more complex and difficult duties as they gain experience and training.
Specific duties include, but are not limited to the following.
Duties and Responsibilities:
(Candidates must perform the following functions with or without reasonable accommodations.)
- Audits and processes Non-USPS/payroll transactions necessary to update annual W-2 files; payroll histories and generate daily payrolls and supplemental master payrolls. Staff involvement includes, applying mandatory withholding and process transactions affecting taxable gross for the reporting process. Utilizes Personal Computer software and respective applications to create payroll transactions and to research references on the Local-Area Network and the Internet. Determines and selects the correct deduction application, maintains specific files, updates and deletes files as necessary, uploads files to the mainframe and requests specific files be extracted for overnight processing. Experienced staff may provide functional guidance to trainees.
- Audits, researches and resolves computer generated error messages related to payroll transactions and mandatory deductions. Resolution of messages frequently requires abstracting and analyzing detailed information and determining correct computations.
- Acts as a telephone liaison to a variety of inquiries related to deductions, mandatory withholding, and W-2 taxable gross reporting using the Automatic Call Distributor (ACD) system. Researches and resolves inquiries and problems regarding documentation and procedures. Provides instructions to state agencies regarding corrective action as a result of the audit process, as necessary.
- Perform a variety of administrative tasks (e.g. photocopying, filing) to support the unit’s efforts.
- May cross train in other units for support of improving team performance.
- Knowledge of current office methods, procedures, and basic math principles.
- Ability to think logically, multi task, and apply laws, rules, regulations, and bargaining contract provisions, concerning payroll transactions.
- Ability to communicate effectively, give and follow directions.
- Ability to adjust to changing work assignments and priorities.
- Experience working with personal computers and Microsoft Office Suite.
- Excellent attendance, dependable and willing to work overtime when needed.
- Excellent customer service and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work as part of a team, and individually with minimal supervision.