(6316) Accountant Trainee – Limited Term, 12 Months Hours: 8am – 5pm M-F
Applicants with disabilities who need reasonable accommodations, such as a Sign Language interpreter, a reader, or assistance attending an interview please call (916) 323-3055.
$3,524 - $4,202
Sarah Loya (916) 322-3351
State Accounting & Reporting
3301 C Street
Sacramento, CA 95816
Individuals who are currently in this classification, or are eligible for lateral transfer or promotion, or are reachable on a certification list may apply.
For permanent positions, SROA and surplus candidates should attach “surplus letters” to their application. Failure to do so may result in your application not being considered.
Submit application package electronically via your CalCareers account or to address below:
State Controller’s Office
Human Resources Office
ATTN: Classification Unit - IG
300 Capitol Mall, Ste. 300
Sacramento, CA 95814
Application package must include all the required documents. Application must include ARF #29 in the job title section. Incomplete application packages will be rejected.
Looking for a job that you can feel passionate about? Looking for work in an inviting work environment? If you are interested in working in a fast-paced environment surrounded by enthusiastic and self-motivated people, then look no further! The Office of the State Controller (SCO) is the destination Constitutional employer within the State of California.
Position May be Extended to 24 Months.
Applications will be screened and only the most qualified will be interviewed. Please include a copy of your degree, transcripts, and detailed work experience on your application. Application must also include “to” and “from” employment dates (m/d/y), hours per week, and prior employer contact information including contact number. Applications received without this information may not be considered for this position.
The selected candidate considered for the advertised position will be required to undergo a fingerprint clearance and any offer of employment will be contingent upon live scan fingerprint results.
Scope of Position:
Under the general supervision of the Financial Accountant II (Supervisor), and utilizing knowledge of laws, fiscal accounting rules and regulations contained in the State Administrative Manual, the Uniform Codes Manual, governmental accounting principles, and the State Controller’s Office procedures, the incumbent will be responsible
for less complex, less technical, and professional accounting activities related to establishing new appropriation accounts, analyzing appropriateness of transactions, approving expenditures, certifying availability of funds, reporting of accounting records, and maintaining control records of the State’s Central Control Accounting System (SCO Fiscal System and/or the Financial Information System for California (FI$Cal)).
Duties and Responsibilities:
(Candidates must perform the following functions with or without reasonable accommodations.)
- Review and analyze appropriateness of transactions, establishing new appropriation accounts, approving expenditures, certifying availability of funds, and identifying and correcting funding errors.
- Research and respond to departmental requests regarding legislation and appropriation postings.
- Maintain control records of the State’s Central Control Accounting System (SCO Fiscal System and/or the Financial Information System for California (FI$Cal).
- Organize, file and maintain statewide expenditure transaction requests.
- Retrieve and disburse daily reports generated from the SCO FISCAL system to the Bureau of Accounting and Consulting, Bureau of Cash Management and other internal units.
- Excellent attendance and dependability.
- Strong communication skills.
- Ability to work independently or as part of a team.
- Ability to establish priorities in a fast pace environment and complete multiple assignments to meet deadlines.
- Strong organizational skills and a commitment to provide quality customer service.
- Ability to be flexible in response to changing workload.
- Knowledge of completed staff work.
- Knowledge and experience with Microsoft Word, Excel, Access, and Outlook.
Protect California's financial integrity while providing transparency and excellent service.
Provide stewardship of public dollars while building a forward-thinking culture of continuous improvement and innovation.