(6278) Mailing Machines Operator II (Limited Term – 12 Months) (12:30 p.m. – 9 p.m.) M-F (2 Positions)
Applicants with disabilities who need reasonable accommodations, such as a Sign Language interpreter, a reader, or assistance attending an interview please call (916) 323-3055.
$2,881 – $3,600
Velia Martinez (916) 323-2823
Administration and Disbursements Division
3301 C Street, Suite 780
Sacramento, CA 95816
Individuals who are currently in this classification, or are eligible for lateral transfer or promotion, or are reachable on a certification list may apply.
For permanent positions, SROA and surplus candidates should attach “surplus letters” to their application. Failure to do so may result in your application not being considered.
Submit application package electronically via your CalCareers account or to address below:
State Controller’s Office
Human Resources Office
ATTN: Classification Unit - AM
300 Capitol Mall, Ste. 300
Sacramento, CA 95814
Application package must include all the required documents. Mailed applications must include either ARF# 17-039 or 051-140-1780-030, 1780-XXX in the job title section. Incomplete application packages will be rejected.
Looking for a job that you can feel passionate about? Looking for work in an inviting work environment? If you are interested in working in a fast-paced environment surrounded by enthusiastic and self-motivated people, then look no further! The Office of the State Controller (SCO) is the destination Constitutional employer within the State of California.
Applications will be screened and only the most qualified will be interviewed. Application must include “to” and “from” employment dates (m/d/y), hours per week, and prior employer contact information including contact number. Applications received without this information may not be considered for this position.
POSITIONS MAY BE EXTENDED OR BECOME PERMANENT AT A LATER DATE.
The selected candidate considered for the advertised position will be required to undergo a fingerprint clearance and any offer of employment will be contingent upon live scan fingerprint results. Candidates whom previously applied do not a have to submit another application.
Scope of Position:
With general supervision provided by a Mailing Machines Supervisor I and II, use complex, multi-function equipment, and process large volumes of outgoing mail for processing by the United States Postal Service (USPS) or other mail carriers. The incumbent will be required to lift and move 50 lbs. boxes without assistance and maneuver full mail cages, weighing approximately 1,000 lbs., through the Mail Center on a daily basis. Duties include, but are not limited to the following:
Duties and Responsibilities:
(Candidates must perform the following functions with or without reasonable accommodations.)
- Operate complex multi-function computerized inserting machines with the ability to: sign documents and/or warrants, trim and cut documents, fold documents, insert documents into envelopes, seal envelopes, and meter output.
- Clear jams from inserting machines and detect material handling errors. Calibrate inserters for different sizes and types of material being mailed. Perform maintenance and minor repairs.
- Perform maintenance and minor repairs. Maintain equipment and work areas in a clean and safe condition. Perform basic maintenance on mailing equipment as required, which includes the following: oil equipment; blow dust off machines; keep rollers, filter jars and meters cleaned; and wipe up oil, ink and other spills as they occur. Dispose of waste in proper containers and return unused materials, tools, logs, and manuals to designated storage areas. Keep supervisor or lead informed of job processing status at end of work shift; job or work order discrepancies; machine malfunctions; or any unsafe working condition.
- On a daily basis, must be able to lift and move 50 lbs. boxes without assistance. Must be able to maneuver full mail cages, weighing approximately 1,000 lbs., through the Mail Center.
- Place sealed envelopes onto the presort machine for ZIP Code sorting and remove from bins after sort is complete. Place sorted envelopes in appropriate mail trays and quality control sorted material. Secure completed mail trays on strapping machines. Prepare appropriate postage reports.
- Clear jams from presort machines and detect material handling errors. Perform maintenance and minor repairs.
- Operate bursting, metering and pressure sealing machines. Restock and hand stuff material.
- Maintain proper order/sequence of material during processing. Calibrate machines for different sizes and types of material.
- General knowledge of postal regulations related to postage, types of mail, and zip code sorting techniques is required;
- Stand for extended periods of time;
- On a daily basis, must be able to lift and move 50 lb. boxes without assistance;
- Must demonstrate the ability to work as an effective team member with all members of the Disbursements team;
- Must be able to maneuver full mail cages weighing approximately 1,000 lbs. through the Mail Center;
- Ability to demonstrate a positive attitude and communicate effectively;
- Excellent attendance and dependability;
- Ability to be flexible in response to changing workload;
- Mandatory overtime may be required.